Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Return to Sender

I'm not sure how how to describe Fred Rzemek's place in our lives. I was one of his lawyers, as was Trish. He's the one who talked me into entering into a culinary career, and I was the opening Chef at his late, lamented Fredi in Clarence Center.

Mostly though, he and his wife Maggie are good friends. We enjoy the company at quite gatherings, as well as their well received parties. They make it easy for us - the girls are the only kids ever invited.

When invited I usually do something fun or fancy. When we were invited to an Inauguration party I started thinking on those lines, but when I asked what I could bring and his answer was bread a lot of bread, I was a bit confused. The problem was that we didn't get our invite (it's 14051, not Tonawanda's 14150).

The party had a theme - let's party like it's 1929 - It was a 30's Soup Kitchen, with all variety of homemade soups: Scottish Barley Broth, Potato Leek, Tomato, Borscht and more. All were delicious!

I was part of the Bread Line. I made three: a couple of straight dough, two-day ferment baguettes; a sourdough Banneton loaf and a rustic country boule that I refer to as a Horta.

Good friends, lots of food and wine, and another peaceful transition of power. It doesn't get much better than this!

Oh and please note the Barack Obama Inaugural Commemoritive Soap (their idea)!

No comments:





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me