Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Thursday, March 5, 2009

It may not be Robert del Grosso at the CIA,

but I got to do a presentation for my daughter's 3rd grade class.

Bob del Grosso, chef, teacher, charcuterier, and bricklayer, recently had the opportunity to return to his old haunts at the CIA in Hyde Park to do a presentation on his work at Hendricks Farm & Dairy. You can see some photos here with a brief message from Mike Pardus, a Chef/Instructor at the CIA, and Bob's own thoughts here.

Well, I not sitting around waiting for that invitation from the CIA, so I accepted one from Mrs. O'Neill, Alison's teacher, to address the class as part of their unit on China. I brought a variety of cooking implements and utensils, serving pieces, and chopsticks for everyone. I brought condiments and seasonings - soy sauce, red vinegar, oyster sauce, five-spice powder, fermented black beans, etc. - for them to see and smell.

I discussed the foods of China and why and how they were eaten. I discussed the variations between regions. I grossed them out describing bird's nest soup, and had them giggling over my chilli pepper hat! I talked about the Kitchen God, Zao Jun, and where he lives in our kitchen (my wife is convinced that my failure to replace him was the cause of a dinner malfunction last night). I did research, but found the best source for the 8 to 9 year old crowd to be early Martin Yan, when he was still trying to expose us barbarians to things other than Cantonese Cuisine.

Of course there was chopstick lesson. And Mrs. O'Neill ordered out, one from column A and one from column B.

I speak often of cooking with my kids. This was that multiplied by 25. 26 if you count Mrs. O'Neill. I cannot wait until they do their France unit!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've done things like this for school kids too. It was always fun but the take away was always tinged with feeling of disappointment that the kids were more impressed by the spectacle than the substance of the presentation -just like so many adults!

Scotty Harris said...

What amazed me, was the number of kids who knew how to use chopsticks at 8/9 years old. About a half dozen were comparing their favorite Japanese restaurants.

I still maintain that the more info we give kids, the better. I just wish they'd invite me to speak to the PARENTS! On nutrition and a healthy diet. One that doesn't include Vitamin Water.

paul said...

Scotty,
was that at Dodge?

Scotty Harris said...

But of course. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I didn't like Chinese food until somebody, well my co-worker of 33 years, introduced me to Szechwan back when it would still take the top of your head off.

Shusi would still be untried had not I not been dining with Regina and couldn't look like a wimp. What men will do to get into a girl's pants.





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me