Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Monday, February 2, 2009

Cooking With Kids V - The Final Horror

I have been writing about cooking with kids since I started blogging. I think it is one of the greatest undertakings a parent can engage in. Since the beginning, I have referred to these posts as "Cooking with Kids". No more. Over the holidays we came up wiith a new name, all because of my daughter Alison - age 8.

Just look at that adorable face! My Mom calls her a gute neshome - Yiddish for a good soul, and she really is all that. However, she has also traced a path of havoc and destruction never before seen in human existence. For this, her nickname since infancy has been Beezil (short for Beelzebub) .

All kids have disasters in and out of the kitchen. When she has them they are just always worse than you'd expect - with splatter patterns that would make Gil Grissom proud. So we were stressing getting ready for the Holidays, Alison decided to drop an egg. It struck the slightly ajar cabinet door beneath and splattered over a stack of nested Pyrex bowls, coating all of them.

As an homage to the unbelievable Executive Transvestite Eddie Izzard, we have now decided to call our family cooking experiences:


We love you Beez!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Teaching kids to cook is as important as teaching them to talk, read, write, mow the lawn and use a hammer.

Mel K. said...

I am nearly 32 and attempted banana bread while I was home at Thanksgiving. My mom left me alone in the kitchen because she thought "surely, she can do this" and when I called her out at the end to see if I needed to stir more, her first words were "Oh my God, what happened" followed by "what did I just step in?"

It's not always that bad - I think baking is not my thing. I can manage to pull together a decent meal. But, she might not grow out of it completely. :)

Scotty Harris said...

Bob, I am so with you! But, I'd suggest that it is as important to the teacher as the student.

Melly, I have known you for 32 years. Concentrate on being cute, I'll help you with the cooking! ;-)





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me