Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Friday, July 12, 2013

Jedi Kitchen Tricks

This recipe is certainly silly. It says to separate the eggs, but it doesn't say how far to separate them - Gracie Allen

My Mommy’s was brass.

2013-07-12 09.35.25
I don’t know if it was really made of brass, it could’ve been brass-plated or brass colored. I just remember it being brass. I had no idea what it was for, though I am certain that on several occasions, when my Jungle Jim became a Spaceship, that it was useful as some implement of an intrepid space explorer.

I’ve never purchased one myself, but there’s always been one in my kitchen. There’s one now - made by Tupperware. I’ve never used never used it.

An ex-girlfriend of mine once brought me back one as a gift from Britain. It was ceramic and interesting looking. I never used it for its intended purpose. Became a scouring pad dish as I recall. (That same girlfriend also ran my wok through the dishwasher when I was out of town. We didn’t last long as a couple).
I’ve never used one at all.

I speak of course of the egg separator, an interesting tool that has absolutely no real purpose.
When I started separating eggs I tried several methods including using an the egg shell. I never resorted to a separator. I settled on simply cracking the egg into my hand and letting the white drizzle  out between the fingers. Works just fine.

But then I had an epiphany courtesy of my lovely daughter Elanor. Ellie shared with me a trick she learned in her Home and Careers class in school (What we used to call Home Ec.) and I now share it with you. The only equipment required is an empty pop bottle (that’s soda for you heathens east of Utica).

So here is Ellie herself demonstrating this marvelous technique. Try it.

No comments:





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me