Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Monday, June 27, 2011

CSA Report

Meet Steve and Erin, the couple (they are getting married this fall) who operate Root Down Farm a new CSA we are shareholders in. I met them face to face for the first time today and I think we made the right choice. They are friendly and energetic, committed to their product, and skipping the organic label.

The latter is what made me take the gamble with them.  Everything they do would qualify, but I'd rather they plow their money back into the ground than pay a 3rd party to put a Seal of Approval on their stuff.

We were late getting started.  Considering the wet Spring (no Spring?) we had, I wouldn't have been surprised if the start had been delayed even more. But it started today.

Today's haul was 3 types of lettuce (Romaine, Butterhead and Red Leaf.  An over-stuffed bag of  field greens (I passed on the purslane - doing quite well wild in my own garden space).  Some young turnips and radishes.  Yes, salad. But more.

The greens from the turnips and radishes, will be nice sauteed with my pancetta, some garlic and good olive oil.  I think some of the lettuces and roots are destined to be quick kimchee.  I might even share it with Steve and Erin.

I will keep you apprised!

It all tastes great, by the way.





2 comments:

Natalie Sztern said...

I thoroughly agree with your thoughts on the 'organic' thing - this is the first year I am not doing the CSA thing cause we are just two now and life is so different when that happens...its good different and bad different and all in the same days...

Scotty Harris said...

I am working on an article about this issue of organics. I'll let you know when it's up.





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me