Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Little Help From Your Friends

Oh I get by with a little help from my friends,
Mmm,I get high with a little help from my friends,
Mmm, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Ok, so I kvetched a few days ago about the "dark side"  of supporting local food producers who want to be Disneyland. There is a bright side too. When we can, we help each other out.

Christa Seychew and I have engaged in a spirited discussion about why we don't have real Mexican here - even street food.  Her question is here.  My response here.

But, then Lloyd came.

Yep, Lloyd - a real taco truck.  A taqueria on wheels opened by two entrepreneurial local cooks to great acclaim.  Long lines, and great reviews from people whose opinions I trust. We planned on going going there with the kids for lunch yesterday.

I mean these guys refurbished the truck, passed Health Department regs, got approval from Buffalo Place (who were worried apparently about whether this would lead to an invasion of Mr. Softee's)

But last week the truck blew it's engine.  Rather than sit idle, people like Christa and the folks a Artisan Kitchens and Bath threw a benefit.  We decided to attend.

I'd like to tell you that the tacos were great. I can't.  I barely tasted them.  It was clear when we got there that they had more visitors than they planned on.  They were "in the weeds". I told Christa I'd volunteer to help, but I really wanted to eat those tacos first.

Then I saw Nelson Starr gloved up and helping out.  Dude, you brought Bourdain to Buffalo.  Leave some of the spotlight for the rest of us!

But I gloved up and spent the rest of the night squeezing out churros.  Trish spent the night tossing them in cinnamon and sugar..  I came home stinking of sweat and frying oil. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!

Here I am, a few days later, and my hands still ache. Arthritis sucks. I'd do it again tonight though.  Buffalo is the City of Good Neighbors.  And we cooks are a family.

Selah

No comments:





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me