Life's too short to eat bad food - Me

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Friday, February 15, 2008

Close to Home

As I have traveled around, over the years, I have realized that Western New York has some of the best supermarkets in the world. Both Tops and Wegmans are great, but I have to give the edge to Wegmans. Yeah I am a homer. Wegmans was born in Rochester, as I was. My sister worked checkout there, and my brother Steve and I both worked at a Lums franchise owned by Wegmans.

But this is too close to home. It's not just any Wegmans - it's MY Wegmans. It's the one that carries Kaffir Lime Leaves (labeled Kieffer lime leaves, they must be there only 24 hours), unusual mushrooms, a great selection of cheeses and a reliable source of PG Tips tea.

Wegmans did everything right. When they found out the employee had Hep A, the sent him home, notified the County Health Department and used shoppers club cards to track those who may have purchased contaminated goods, and they tossed anything that might have been contaminated.

On the other hand this did not show an actual case of contamination, which would be most likely to happen when a infected employee dosen't thoroughly wash after using the potty. So how do I respond to those who insist that produce workers wear gloves.

My first objection to gloves has always been that I don't think workers, culinary and otherwise, pay enough attention to sanitation when they're gloved. The second doesn't apply here - on the hot line I have had too many gloves fused to my flesh at the end of the night.

So, what do you think?

2 comments:

paul said...

Scotty,
been wanting to comment here for a while since I read your entries through bloglines and love hearing about the Buffalo stuff.

Wegmans rocks! I remember that place fondly, as much as kids can remember a supermarket being good. It felt really modern at the time, big, clean, etc. My older brother worked in the produce section of one, so I have a bit of a connection to it as well.

After we left Buffalo and moved to Michigan, I became acquainted with Meijer, a giant but crappy store.

Now here in Seattle we shop at Fred Meyer, which is large and quite nice, though without the produce selection I remember from Wegmans.

One thing I remember distinctly: the giant machine you could dump a whole case of oranges into and out the bottom came juice. In retrospect I don't understand the sanitation of that.

Do you ever eat at Santora's?

Scotty Harris said...

Redman, my culinary epiphany began in Toledo, and I thought Kroegers was OK. But then I came back to WNY and realized just what I was missing. Except I am pissed at Wegmans today because they screwed up a prescription and I couldn't find where they have hidden the SACO buttermilk powder I use in baking!

Oh yes, I've eaten at Santora's over the year's, but while they have an outlet down Millersport a bit, we tend to favor even closer ones such as Campobello's or Rizzo's.

Here is the tough question: Anchor Bar, Duff's or Rooties for wings!





Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Life's too short to eat bad food -
Me